Simple delicious non-alcoholic red wine sangria
How to make non-alcoholic red wine sangria that isn’t just a fruit juice.
Sangria is the most famous Spanish drink. Traditionally, it has red wine and a strong spirit, such as brandy or whiskey. That is a challenge if you are not on the booze.
Most virgin sangrias are just fancy, mixed, fruit juice that would be at home in front of a kid.
What if you want more? What if you want the same boozy taste of the traditional sangria, the cocktail experience, the party feeling?
We have worked on a no-fuss, 6-ingredients, non-alcoholic red wine sangria recipe with alcohol-free wines and spirits that will satisfy you and all your alcohol-drinking friends.
The key to a great sangria: the red wine
The best red wine sangria needs a fruity, sweet, full-bodied red wine to strengthen the flavour and give it depth. Replace full-strength drink with a non-alcoholic red wine to have the adult drink without compromising on health or fun. Our two best pick for non-alcoholic red wines for sangria are:
- Blue Nun non-alcoholic red wine. A fruit-forward, red grape flavoured wine. This one is on the sweet side, which I like better in my sangria.
- Two Valleys non-alcoholic red wine. A robust, fruity, red made from sun-soaked Portuguese grapes. It has a drier finish, if that’s what you prefer in your sangria.
Pairing combinations for red wine sangria
- On its own
Non-alcoholic red wine sangria is the perfect drink to be sipped on its own, all evening long, while you nibble on some nuts and olives.
Grilled red meat and juicy steaks are the perfect pairings for red wine sangria.
Take yourself back to Europe with tapas, small shareable dishes found in every Spanish café. Meet or fish, it will work as long as it’s packed full of flavour. A bit of work to make them, but bound to impress your guests.
The cool sweetness of red wine sangria plays off of the spiciness of Spanish, Tex-Mex, and Thai dishes splendidly.
Easy and delicious non-alcoholic red wine sangria recipe (serves 4)
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 apple [60 g] - cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 orange [65 g] - rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed. Extra for garnish
- 50 g brown sugar
- 180 ml orange juice
- 60 ml Seedlip Grove 42
- 750 ml bottle Blue Nun Alcohol Free Red or Two Valleys Red- chilled
- Ice to chill [~ 200 g]
- Add apples, oranges, and sugar to a large pitcher and mix with a muddler or wooden spoon.
- Add orange juice and Seedlip non-alcoholic citrus spirit. Mix to combine.
- Add non-alcoholic red wine and stir. Taste and adjust flavour as needed.
- Add ice and stir once more to chill. Serve as is, or with ice in the glasses. Optional: garnish with orange slices.
You can store the leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, though best when fresh.
Best enjoyed on a hot summer day, relaxing outside on patio furniture, surrounded by friends and sharing a laugh.